Friday 16 March 2012

How to keep brushes clean on the go!

Hia Everyone,

Today's post is about how to keep brushes clean on the go because I am asked so often on this topic I wanted to show and tell you what I do with mine whilst I am out and about on a job or just not near a warm water supply and baby shampoo!

The other day I worked on a client and although I have at least 3 or 4 of every one of my brushes I still find that I am needing one washed there and then.

I use hygienic wipes and always carry these on me for times like this.

You can pretty much remove all the colours you have been using on your brush as well as making sure the brush is nice and hygienically clean for further application. Once you have cleaned up your brush with your wipe, gently dry it with a piece of kitchen towel or super absorbent tissue.

*I meant you can only do this quick tip if using the same brushes on the same person. Not for different clients*

This below is a picture of the mess I made whilst working on my client. Just look at that wipe :)


Dont forget, this is only meant to be done between proper and thorough washes.

I have a video that I am working on to show you how I wash my brushes properly to help maintain them perfectly for years to come.

I just wanted to show you that even on the go there are options so always have handy a pack of hygienic wipes for times like this until you manage to get home and give them all a good clean.

If you have any questions? post a comment below and I will get back to you :)

Thanks for reading, subscribing, commenting and  sharing with friends because it all helps and is very much appreciated.

Zoom zoom!
Lauren :)

14 comments:

Makeup Advice Forum - Sam said...

Laure, love what you do, but as a professional makeup artist and a champion of the safe beauty campaign, this is really not a good hygienic clean.

The only way to clean brushes between each client is to clean them with a liquid cleaner. Wipes will just take off the excess, and only some of the bacteria.

The only time this would be acceptable is if you were to use the same brush on the same person.

I dislike being critical, but I feel so strongly about good hygiene practice that I've had to speak up.

Sam x

(owner of in excess of 200 brushes in my kit!)

Niki said...

great tips! i clean my brushes all the time, especially my foundation brush! it feels so fresh when they are all clean! i dont think that a lot of people realize how important it is to do this. great and easy tips! thank you!

Gemma-Louise said...

So glad you put up a post like this as I was going to ask you about whats best to use when cleaning my Lauren Luke brushes. I've been using the ELF daily cleanser for mine it's ok but not the best. I look forward to seeing the video for more tips xo

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Hi Sam, I updated that as I hadn't realised it could be taken a different way. Thanks for pointing that out for me, I would never use the same brushes on different clients after only using a hygienic wipe. I assumed others would know this too and forgot to add that bit on.

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Thanks Niki,

I agree, but I also know from some of the emails I receive that people are scared to wash them in case they ruin them. Its about uncertainty with some but hopefully my up and coming video will help and show people how to keep them nice.

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Thanks Gemma :)
If you can,wash them properly and the ELF cleaner you have will probably be fine. You could also use warm water and baby shampoo or a very mild shampoo that you have available. The hygienic wipes are only for on the go when you need to remove any product and have limited brushes on the same client.

Makeup Advice Forum - Sam said...

LOL, i take hygiene things and scrutinize them! Only because I talk to fledgling MUAs on a daily basis!

Thankyou for not taking offence, as I didn't want it to come out that way!

Sam x

Anonymous said...

Lauren, thanks for the tips. :) Question for you: How often should I clean your brushes? Everyday? <3 hayley

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Sam I just read your make up tip page and can not believe some one stole your NARS blushers. Seriously would have not imagined some one in that profession needing to steal. Its not bad money, what are they playing at!! terrible. Hope..hope they turned up for you although they are probably long gone.
I didn't take offence at all. I just assumed people would know what I meant.

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Hayley, Thanks for your comment.

I always thoroughly wash my brushes after using them. Try to never get lazy about this because bacteria builds up but we don't see it.

I use either mild baby shampoo or a mild 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner.

Kitchen/paper towel and lay them flat never stood up right in jar as this is a sure fire way to rust and loosen the ferrule.

Hope that helps?

panacea81 AKA Lauren Luke said...

Hayley, Thanks for your comment.

I always thoroughly wash my brushes after using them. Try to never get lazy about this because bacteria builds up but we don't see it.

I use either mild baby shampoo or a mild 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner.

Kitchen/paper towel and lay them flat never stood up right in jar as this is a sure fire way to rust and loosen the ferrule.

Hope that helps?

Anonymous said...

this tip is only for the same person not different people!

Anonymous said...

I know, its horrid isn't it! We all get used to losing the odd brush or lipstick, it 3 NARS blushers in one go is taking the mick!

S x

Unknown said...

great tips for on the go! this will definitely work for me! :)
thanks Lauren!

XO jannine
http://FashionistArg.blogspot.com